Wednesday, December 17, 2008

52.Mumbai Incidents-Empower the Citizen

The Mumbai terror incidents have once again energised the whole exercise of strengthening our security apparatus, increasing the strength of our police forces in terms of sheer numbers as well as modern gadgets, augmenting coastal security, beefing up the intelligence machinery, providing increased security at sensitive places and bringing about required changes in law. All these steps are absolutely necessary. But the key issue, it appears, is to educate and train the citizens so as to enable them to detect possible terrorist incidents in time, identify terrorists and their accomplices and defend themselves if a terror strike takes place.

The key issue is that I, as an individual, must know what I am supposed to do if somebody suddenly points an AK-47 at me while I am busy shopping. I must know what I should do if some gun-totting terrorists suddenly enter my office while I am at work. I must know what exactly I am supposed to do if I am taken hostage? I must know what help I can provide to myself and my fellow citizens in the case of injury in a terrorist attack. If only I have answers to such questions, I will feel confident. No one can help me better than I myself. I cannot rely on anyone more than I can do on myself.

Ours is a nation of over one billion and if such a large number of persons can be trained to prevent terror strikes and save themselves as well as others during such strikes, the job of police will be much easier and the job of terrorists much more difficult. But educating such a large number is a daunting task. It is time we start seriously considering how to accomplish this task effectively in the quickest possible time. Needless to say that this cannot be left to the Government alone. All civil society organisations must join hands. After all, this is a question of our own survival.

5 comments:

Kadri said...

Most importantly you need to know exactly what to teach people and what will only cause confusion and chaos. In the aftermath of terror there is always a risk that people will push things too far because of their current fear and through that cause harm rather than good.

Living in the shadow of the CCCP during the "cold war" we were taught the basics that we'd need to know in case of an attack at school. That's information that we shared with our friends and relatives and even though not every one got the education, every body knew what to do. It doesn't take much to spread information, but it has to be correct and factual.

nituscorner said...

Very true. its times like this that saying like united we stand divided we fall stand true. if we stand up as one , no force can break us.lets all try to be less selfish and think of a brighter tomorrow for the sake of the children.

Indrani said...

Yes we don't have any directive on this yet.

If the person with gun is right across, it will be ideal to just lie down flat. My daughters told me this. They have been instructed at school to do this.

Aviral said...

No one will ever point a gun at you while you are out shopping because you never go out shopping!

humanobserver said...

Your post was quite thoughtful... You are true that no one can help you better than yourself....