Sunday, December 28, 2008

54. Journey to Childhood


After a long time, I travelled by train recently. I realized how much I had missed out while travelling by air. True, air journey saves time and the level of cleanliness is much better, but train journey has something about it which makes us nostalgic the way an air journey never can.
For many of us who were born and brought up in small towns and villages, train journey is a window to our childhood. It brings our fond memories alive- waiting eagerly at the platform for the train to arrive, looking for any sign of the approaching train, discovering the faint outline of the engine in the distance, watching it getting bigger and clearer, waiting for the engine to cross us before coming to a halt, hopping on to the train to avoid even the slightest chance of getting left behind, rushing to get a window seat, playing with other children on the train…..
Hopefully, we will recall the whistle of a train reaching or leaving our small stations and guessing with our siblings whether it was a passenger train or a goods train. Many of us will have fond memories of visiting local railway stations just to see people getting down from or boarding trains with a feeling of envy, hoping for our own chance to come soon. We may also recall rushing out of our houses to see trains pass by, trying to count the seemingly unending number of compartments.
Some will be reminded of the black-coloured engine which used to drag compartments, emitting a lot of smoke and making a lot of noise.
We all long to go back to our childhood and look for vehicles which can make the journey possible। Travelling by train can very effortlessly take us to our childhood. Let us try it out more often. Delay of a few hours is worth it.

11 comments:

Saadia said...

You are right. Train travel is precious. Unfortunately, by the time I was born, this mode of transport was relegated to the poorer masses. However, I've enjoyed train travel in my trips abroad and I want to keep re-living it. It simply, more educational, more intimate than air travel. No doubt!

Aviral said...

I really like the way you have ended it...what about the pics you clicked?

R. Ramesh said...

of course train journeys r something unforgettable..the days when i used to travel mumbai-chennai and the vendors shouting "T" T Copi copi (coffee) etc are unforgettable..BTW thnaks 4 yr comments...wishes

Onkar said...

Aviral, thanks for reminding me. I have since added one.

nituscorner said...

very true.....for me trains bring back fond memories of school time when we would get 3mths winter break and when we would go out on holidays with the whole family.

ya said...

Train journies also give us time to reminisce into our past. Many times, this helps us to come clean of our guilts and other harmful thoughts.

Kadri said...

I've never traveled by train, where I live it's far between the train stations.

I do on the other hand have the same kind of found emotions when it comes to buses. =)

humanobserver said...

absolutely true...there is a huge difference between train journey and air journey...train journey is always enjoyable...

humanobserver said...

Wishing you a very happy and prosperous new year...

nituscorner said...

WISHING YOU AND FAMILY A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Indrani said...

I love my train journeys too. I took my children in 2007, a short train journey to Ahmednagar, thankfully they didn't complain much. :)