Sunday, August 09, 2009

46.The Paperwala

I cycle to the colony every morning
Where people eagerly wait for me
Their mornings are long and boring
Without the papers I bring with me.

I unload the bundle from the carrier
And aim for balconies high and low
The thud sends them rushing out
And pounce on rolls thrown by me.

Some spend hours in loo with papers
Some sip gallons of tea over them
Some become restless, some speechless
Some forget all in company of papers.

I don’t know what is so addictive
I don’t know what I have missed out,
My job is to get up with sun-rise
And quickly reach those waiting for me.

8 comments:

Aparna said...

If we do not get the paper in the morning, life seems to stall.We wait for it to be delivered and yet fail to comprehend the life of the one who delivers it to us.
Excellent.

R. Ramesh said...

brilliant yaar..having been in journalism for 27 years, i am touched by this...good one yaar..

Keats The Sunshine Girl said...

Good job, paperwala! A cuppa doesn't taste the same without the paper!

Indrani said...

Our own paperwala!
Great tribute to these guys. :)

exposemaximum said...

Fabulous

Kadri Luik said...

Wonderful!

I thought that we didn't need the morning paper anymore since we can read the news online but I was wrong. The paper can't be replaced.

nituscorner said...

The feeling of being the first person to read the newspaper and anouncing the headlines can never be replaced by the internet.

Saadia said...

Ironic, isn't it!