Sunday, June 15, 2014

159. On late rising



Since my childhood, it has been drilled into me that one must sleep early and get up early if one wants to achieve something in life. "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise". I religiously slept early, compromising on the fun that only the night offers and got up early when there was no activity to do except watching oldies lazily walking around in parks. Sometimes, stray birds would come and chirp as if demanding the reason for getting up at such an unearthly hour. And believe me, years of getting up early has taken me nowhere.

Now, a research by the Chicago University has come as a breath of fresh air. It says that  those who go to bed earlier or stay in bed  longer experience a 14 per cent drop in their appetite and a 62 per cent decline in their craving for unhealthy snacks. 90 minutes of extra sleep can make a huge difference to obesity. Since overeating and unhealthy snacks can cause many other diseases, it can safely be presumed that sleeping more is really the key to good health.

A former head of sleep research at the Loughborough University in Leicestershire said, more time in bed appears to curb appetite by directly affecting the brain, not just by preventing people from eating. He said, the secret is the amount of Rapid Eye Movement Sleep, or REMS, which is when the brain switches to the dream mode. If one sleeps longer, one has more REM sleep which has appetite suppressant properties.

Academicians may be interested in such explanations, but I am not looking for one. I am quite satisfied with the result of the research. I have taken the advice seriously and must be the first one in the world to have implemented it forthwith. My only regret is that I wasted far too many years getting up early.



3 comments:

Sai Charan said...

Nice and informative post :) Yes can't agree more - sufficient sleep helps us stay refreshed and happy!! :)

Bikram said...

right off to sleep I am then :)

that is good info :)


Bikram

Usha Menon said...

Very interesting explanation.I believe that we must have eight to nine hours of sleep to be fresh and active.