Sunday, September 18, 2016

178. On bunking classes

One of the most enjoyable part of school education during our days - about 45 years back- was the opportunity to bunk classes. I still remember my partners in crime. Although our school was in a small town, we were smart enough to avoid getting detected. Luckily, there was a cinema hall at a stone's throw from our school which usually was the destination of the bunkers. It used to give us welcome escape from the monotonous lectures of teachers and offered wholesome entertainment at very low cost. I still remember, we did not have to stand in queue for watching a movie. We had cultivated enough contacts to enter the cinema hall by paying 25 paise at the gate. Alas, times have since changed. You don't get to see a 25 paise or even a 50 paise coin these days. As long as 25 paise coins were in currency, their sight used to bring fond memories of bunking days to me. Gradually, I started losing these memories, as the 25 paise coin or 'chawanni' went out of circulation.
I am thankful to the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan for reminding me of my golden days. They have recently announced steps to make bunking difficult for students. The parents will now be able to know through SMS whether their kids have attended classes.  Newspapers gleefully reported that the move would benefit more than 12 lakh students in 1,100-odd Kendriya Vidyalayas across the country. They are hopeful that all other schools will follow this very noble initiative taken by the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan.
I am sure that many of the parents and journalists have experienced the pleasure of bunking classes during their student days. Now is the time for them to prevent others from doing so. From their own experience, they now know that bunking is not good after all. Knowledge has dawned on them that bunking classes by students, especially those in the higher classes, is a major social problem. 
I am sure that the step taken by the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan is a very welcome step and will lead to shaping up of a generation much better than ours. I am thankful for two things-  there was nothing like SMS during my school days and people were not as obsessed with transparency as they are now.

2 comments:

Bikramjit Singh Mann said...

but sir.. all that bunking and silly things is part of growing up.. I am sure it has not done any harm to you or me ..

I think the idea of restrictions is what makes people to break them :)


Bikram's

How do we know said...

sir.. I am also old fashioned.. children should be allowed some safe levels of rule breaking.. its a necessary part of growing up.