Sunday, April 30, 2017

2. Music in the Park

Every year, Delhi Government organizes a three-day festival of devotional music in the sprawling Nehru Park in the heart of New Delhi. Today is the last day of the festival. Eminent singers like Shubha Mudgal, Anup Jalota and Satinder Sartaj are part of the event this year. 

I have been visiting the festival for quite a few years now. I was there on the second day yesterday. The park was illuminated and decorated tastefully for the festival. I went a bit early, took a leisurely stroll admiring the beauty of flowers and trees, and when the sun started setting, took my seat among hundreds to listen to the soulful music. Listening to music in the midst of greenery is a heavenly experience.

Every year, the organizers come up with a good mix of well-established singers and not-so-well established ones. I enjoy listening to the latter much more. They are hidden gems whose talent is not so well-known. This year, I immensely enjoyed listening to Sonam Kalra's Sufi renditions. A nice thing about her music is the assimilation of different cultures not just from within the country but even outside. After returning from Nehru Park, I searched for her songs on Youtube and listened to many beautiful numbers. One song that I particularly liked was 'Bol', written by Faiz Ahmed Faiz.

I think, other cities should emulate the example of Delhi.Organizing such festivals will draw people to parks, keep our traditional music alive and entertain audiences, waiting to listen to something fresh.







No comments: